Tuesday 10 July, 2007

Identity Crisis

I am writing my thesis on national identity of Christians in India vis-a-vis resurgence of Hindu Nationalism. Yesterday, I submitted my first chapter. No, its nothing to brag about, because I am lagging behind everyone else in the class.

Well, the topic here is identity. The word 'identity' is taken from Latin word idem, which refers to sameness. It has two aspects: psychological and sociological. The former answers the question, "who am I?", the latter "Who do people say I am?" Building on these aspects, famous psycho-analyst Erik Erikson, popularized the term - 'identity-crisis.' This term describes the situation where the psychological and sociological aspects are interlocked in one's sense of self (see Oxford Dictionary of Sociology). But why am i scribbling all these here?

I was in Chandigarh till 2001, and everyone who knew me thought I was Punjabi. Then I moved to Kerala, where they thought I was a 'Mallu.' In between I went back to Chandigarh. The church I visited once had several South Indian families. Right after the service was over, some members of a Malayali family came and started talking to me in Malayalam. I enjoyed it for sometime, and finally bursted out with laughter saying in my broken Malayalam, "Malayalam korchu korchu mansilai" (I understand only little of Malayalam). Here in Bangalore, I recently met Sam. He soon became my friend. He confessed that he thought me to be a Naga. When I visited North-east, some others thought I was Asomi. I wonder if I am having identity-crisis.

Well, it may be identity-crisis for Erikson, for me it is 'identity-bliss.' I think it is blessed to know that people consider you just one of them (at least because of looks, as in my case).

1 comment:

Charles said...

hey chhutki,
thanks for the comment. Well, if wherever I go, people feel me one of them, then it means people in my own place would also feel i m one of them. so nothing to worry about them. moreover, identifying with people is less about colour, race, language and more about winning the heart of people with love.

by the way, one new entry in the list. yesterday someone else thought I was Kannadiga.