Wednesday 13 February, 2008

Millers' 46

February 11 was a memorable day for us - M.Th. second year students of Theology department. We went out for dinner, along with Nigel, our department co-ordinator, his wife Selena, sweet and tiny daughter Muskaan, and also this module's visiting faculties Dr. David and Linda Householder. Thomas was appointed as an organizer of the trip. He and Nigel worked together to finally select Miller's 46 as the venue.

We left from SAIACS at 6:30, and reached the venue by 7:30. As usual, some of us were hungry enough to swallow two plates of rice with the ever-tasty sambhar of SAIACS. The thought of dining outside had intensified the hunger. We had talked about our excitement before leaving from SAIACS, least aware of the unique and memorable experience that was waiting for us.

The uniqueness of experience began as soon as we received the menu. Few names made sense to us. These were: chicken, beef, fish, prones or pork; and the spices like pepper and garlic. But these names did not stand alone, they had adjectives, which made them something mysterious. We kept looking, sometimes at the menu and other times at one another, waiting for someone to order first, so it would make it easier for the other to say, "oh, the same for me too." The Householder and the Kumars were done. Jisha, Villo and Thomas too had their preferences. Jayaraj, I, Elayaraj and Zulu were the most confused ones. I and Jayaraj discreetly reached a conclusion that Jayaraj would opt for prawns and I would ask for chicken, and then we can share with each other. We could feel a proud smile on our faces because of making the wisest choice.

Soon, the servers came with what we had demanded. They pronounce the name of each items to place them in a right place. This was another test, because we had to work hard to remember what we had asked for. Soon came a plate, which seemed like made of china and frying pan attached to it. The smoke was stil coming out of the plate. When the server pronounce the name, I realized it was for me. I was scared to see the unique characteristics of my plate. Thankfully, Jayaraj soon joined me. His was the worse case, because he was given prawns with noodles, something he does not like. We looked at one another and smiled. There was yet another man who looked worried - Zulu.

I soon found out that I had something familiar, chicken and rice in the plate. I soon became a happy man. It was even more amusing to see Zulu and Jayaraj struggling. I gave them a devilish smile. Chicken in my plate was tasty and I soon finished it, without remembering the treaty I and Jeyaraj had made. Zulu was struggling and asked for help to finish his food. Thomas, I, and Jayaraj who had by now completed his task willingly lended help to Zulu. Finally we all were done.

We came back to SAIACS, not grumbling but laughing at ourselves. What else could we do! Some of us gathered that night and concluded that it was good to have such an experience once in a while. But yes, only once in a while.

No comments: